A Peek Inside my Studio Journal aka my Art Planner/Diary/Sketchbook

 

 
For the last couple of years, I have done almost all of my writing in what I've been calling my Studio Journal. I use a Hard Linen Grid Journal from Detroit Shinola. My pen is a Pentel Arts Hybrid Technica .03. The pencils that I use are always Blackwing.

 
(I copy and print pages from prior books that have ideas I am still exploring and store them at the back of the book. There is also a small pocket where I keep my index cards.)
 
I bring the journal with me everywhere. In my pocket, I carry small index cards and the Pentel pen for quick note taking. 
 

 
In the back, I added a hand drawn calendar. Since each journal lasts me about six months, I have January through June in there with an additional page with notes for July-December.
 
I write, draw/sketch/doodle, make notes, write down quotes, daily life happenings (always the weather, what I'm reading/watching/doing, etc...) Oh, and I'm big on lists, lots of daily lists:















I write EVERYTHING in this book. I will put down sketches for journal pages. I will later write my thoughts about what worked (or what didn't) with my art work. 

It has changed the way that I work in ways that I didn't think were possible. I am much more thoughtful my work (and life) on an overall basis.

I do not paint, collage or keep photos in it. That's a separate animal. I do, however, keep stickers, ticket stubs, and ephemera from gathered from art museums or events in there. 

I order two at a time when I buy them direct from the company. I have tried Traveler's Notebooks and other journals and this is my favorite of the bunch.

I know that many artists over the years have done the same but I got the idea after reading Jack Whitten's gem, Notes from the Woodshed. (I can't say enough about Whitten or the book!)

 

What about you? Do you keep anything similar? 

 

***

 

The subject of keeping a Studio Journal/Art Planner/Diary/Sketchbook is just one of the many things I'm going to be covering in my ongoing The Art Life Workshop. As I keep saying, I have ideas.... lots and lots of ideas to share...

 

***

 


Tomorrow (Saturday, March 5th), I am excited about teaching Reflections a Two Hour Online Workshop in Paint, Paper and Pen from 12-2 p.m. PST*

*All sessions are recorded. Students do not have to be present. Recordings and transcripts will be available for the students. 

Comments

Popular Posts