History Books about Artists Who Happen to be Women

 



I watched this interview with Audrey Flack last night. It made me stay up late re-reading her book Art & Soul: Notes on Creating.

This morning I woke up thinking about the interview, the questions asked and my own collection of books on women artists. I thought I'd create a list of the books that I know about artists who happen to be women. 

My criteria was to only include encyclopedia style books, where the focus isn't one artist but several. Many of these are in my collection and I thought I'd share the titles with you today:

  • A Big Important Art Book: Now with Women! by Danielle Krysa
  • The Mirror and the Palette by Jennifer Higgie
  • Seeing Ourselves: Women's Self Portraits by Frances Borzello
  • Black Artists on Art Volume 1 by Doctor Samella Lewis
  • Ninth Street Women: Lee Krasner, Elaine de Kooning, Grace Hartigan, Joan Mitchell and Helen Frankenthaler: Five Painters and the Movement that Changed Modern Art by Mary Gabriel
  • Identity Unknown: Rediscovering Seven American Women Artists by Donna Seaman
  • Women Artists by Margaret Barlow
  • Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists: 50th Anniversary by Linda Nochlin
  • Women Artists and the Surrealist Movement by Whitney Chadwick
  • Broadstrokes: 15 Women Who Made Art and Made History (in That Order) by Bridget Quinn
  • Women, Art and Society (World of Art) by Whitney Chadwick
  • Lives and Works, Talks with Women Artists by Lynn F. Miller
  • Women Artists: The Linda Nochlin Reader by Linda Nochlin
  • In Wonderland: The Surrealist Adventures of Women Artists in Mexico and the United States by Ilene Susan Fort, Tere Arcq and Terri Geis
  • Women Artists in Paris, 1850-1900 by Laurence Madeline
  • Women of Abstract Expressionism by Irving Sandler
  • Women Artists: An Illustrated History by Nancy G. Heller
  • The Obstacle Race: The Fortunes of Women Painters and Their Work by Germaine Greer
  • Modern Women: Women Artists at the Museum of Modern Art by Alexandra Schwartz
  • Women Artists: Works from the National Museum of Women in the Arts by Nancy G. Heller
  • The Book as Art, Artist's Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts by Krystyna Wasserman
  • Women Artists of Color: A Bio-Critical Sourcebook to 20th Century Artists in the Americas by Phoebe Farris
  • Self-Portraits by Women Painters by Liana De Girolami Cheney

Some of my bookshelves can be found here as well as here.

Apologies for not showing some of my actual covers as I'm in the midst of a huge mess making my collage and mixed media supply grab bags. I can't get to all of my books until I'm done.

What are some of your favorite titles that I've left off this list?

Comments

Popular Posts