Saving Paint Caps

 

I know I'm not alone in not always taking the time to properly recap their paint tubes. Who has the time when we're painting?! 

Every once in a while this happens and I'm reminded to slow down a bit...

I've been saving my old paint caps. I've already saved pen and marker caps for years (when you've taught as many classes as I have, you learn quick! I wish I had as many paint caps as I do marker and pen caps!) 

As far as paint caps go, I use paint tubes that have been put through the wringer (well worth your money!!) I squeeze and use a long, thin painting knife to get the last of the paint out. 

Then, I let the caps dry out, peel off any excess paint, repaint the outside of the cap with the new color and it's good as new.

If your paint cap ever separates completely and you can't get the bottom part off, you can carefully slice or cut it. (Just go slow and pay very careful attention.)
Adios, old paint cap!

(I did scrape out the excess paint from the broken cap and I used it to paint a page.) I also had to use an awl or sharp needle to get rid of the dried acrylic that was stuck to the tube so it would properly close.
Good as new! Now to remember before I'm in a rush to close the next paint tube or jar.

Comments

Tracey said…
I always wondered why there was paint color on the tops of the lids. What a great idea!

Popular Posts