Meet me in Auvers sur Oise: Vincent's Room




"6 Euros, please. If you hurry, the film is just starting!" The woman at the booth inside the Ravoux Inn told me. I didn't know what to expect but I wanted to see where Vincent had lived (it is also where he died. It is the only surviving dwelling to be preserved in its original state.) I followed her instructions to go up the stairs and into the gift shop.

Once inside the gift shop, I waited for two women to check out before approaching the clerk. A few minutes passed before she could help me. She looked at her watch. "It's already begun. Go ahead up." She opened the door. I stepped inside.
 
I was alone.

I walked up the stairs. Music was playing. A lone chair sat in the room. Holes in the wall. Paint scratches. Old nails. Creaky floor boards. I stood in the door frame and stared.

Vincent's room.

The room was tiny and dark. There was one lone window, a small skylight above. The room was empty except for one chair (they talk about why on the website.)

I wondered where everyone was... I walked into the next room. It was set up as a room of that time period may have looked but it was brighter. The windows were bigger. The room was much brighter. Music played from the room next door. "They're watching the film." I realized (I had forgotten all about it.)

I decided to take the time and stand in the door frame of Vincent's room. I think I stood there for at least ten, maybe fifteen minutes before I remembered that my husband was waiting for me sitting on a bench by the town hall.

I took one last look around the room and ran my hands along the railing as I walked down the stairs. The same stairs I had come up.

I walked into the gift shop. "YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE FILM?!" The woman was incredulous and shocked to see me. Upstairs, a door opened and a crowd of people (where had they all come from? How did they fit?) flooded the gift shop.

I asked about seeing the restaurant downstairs.

"Impossible." (This was a word I heard several times this trip and it made me shake my head almost every time.) She then told me it was full and I would be unable to even peek inside. (Later on, after it had closed, David and I went back and peeked in the windows.)

I left the Inn as we had more to see.

I would find out later that the Inn hadn't left me... at least, my short experience there.
A quick sketch with a pencil.
Drawing with the water soluble Stabilo All pencil. Smooshing with finger.
Adding the acrylics to the chair.
Trying to get used to working this large (I like it. It doesn't mean that it doesn't present a new challenge!)

The blue was an accident. I'm happy that I decided to use it around the page since I had so much of it.
Poppies with acrylics, water soluble pencil, water based paint markers, a palette knife and my finger
Looking at it on the easel.


Above are some of my reference photos. I put those pieces together to create this page.

When I began this page, I knew that I wanted to create an homage to his room, a room where he lived, thought and dreamt of his paintings, where Vincent sat with his brother, Theo, and where Vincent eventually died.

The room. That little dark room stayed with me. I didn't want it to be as dark and dreary as they represent it. He didn't just die in that room, he LIVED in it!

I decided to combine the chair with one of my favorite paintings. The photos above represent that journey.

Supplies used:

100 lb Accent Opaque size 23 x 35" opened (this is the journal I made that I'm working in)

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht and Golden

Water based paint markers: Holbein (acrylic inks), Sharpie, Molotow, Posca

Stabilo All in One water soluble pencils in black, blue and brown

.35 Rapidosketch pen with black India ink

Palette knife 

Brushes

Read various editions of the letters of Vincent Van Gogh 



Comments

None said…
I love this one..beautiful use of color.

Popular Posts