Procrastination, Cleaning and Creativity


Procrastination is my middle name. It's always been one of those things that I just can't help. I get it done but if anyone was the kid up at 9 p.m. the night before a project was due, it was me. I've tried to break the habit but it holds fast. Right now, I'm supposed to be finishing up a project that I am hoping to send out as a surprise before the end of the week as a thank you to peeps who supported my Dear Vincent Project card deck, but what am I doing? Procrastinating by writing this post!

A long time ago, I decided to downsize other art making endeavors. Out went the assemblage, jewelry, fabric and more. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to focus on: book arts, collage, painting (acrylics) and paper. Anything that wasn't related to those fields, went. Where was my passion? What called the most to me?

As I write this, I'm looking at my studio area (aka my living room in a small, one bedroom apartment) and I know it's time to clean house. There are piles of books and far too much collage stuff. I'm about to weed through my class supplies (stencils, tape, paper) as well. When it gets to the point where I have to manage keeping things neatly in boxes that are bulging, I know it's time to let them go. Especially if I haven't been using them (stencils, I'm talking to you.)

Did I mention that I also find inspiration in procrastination? Yes, it's stressful when there's a deadline but I enjoy being able to take the time and let things really seep in. I like to take the time to fill the creative well by looking at my supplies, going through my books, taking walks, listening to art podcasts and nourishing myself on as much creative inspiration as possible before the project is due. I also find inspiration in cleaning and downsizing, going through my things and figuring out what I truly need and what I can let go of.

So, over the next coming weeks, I'll be weeding things out and focusing on tackling my To Do List so I can start the new year with as fresh of a slate as possible. I'm looking forward to having some order as we enter the Winter Solstice. 

I'm also looking forward to being able to focus on my journal and seeing the book that I keep open (instead of the unorganized piles around it.) Did I ever mention that when I don't always have the time to finish a journal page, I leave my book open? That way, I can walk by it throughout the course of the day and think about it. It calls and sings to me to figure out what it needs, what's working or how to push myself in a different way. It reminds me of photos of painters in the 40's, 50's and 60's sitting and staring at their paintings. 

Now it's time for me to stop procrastinating with this post and go get some more work done...

In gratitude for your time and interest and wishing you well.

Comments

Popular Posts