Celebrating World Book Night: A Post on My Favorite Fiction Books of the Last Few Years


It's no surprise to anyone who knows me that I am a bibliophile. My husband, son and I live in a tiny apartment with 13 bookcases that line the walls. There are books next to those bookcases. There are books next to the bed. There are books in the kitchen. What can we say other than that we surround ourselves with things that we love? We trek to bookstores several nights a week (you can see a list of our favorites here.) I was the little girl who grew up eating her breakfast reading the cereal box if it was the only thing available. I still carry that love and passion of reading everything that I can get my hands on today.

You can say that I jumped at the chance to participate in World Book Night especially when I saw that The History of Love was one of the books being given out. I picked up my box of books at Skylight in Los Feliz last week. "Happy World Book Night!" I was told as I walked out grinning from ear to ear with a box of 20 paperbacks. I will be passing out copies of The History of Love (which I spent the weekend rereading. If you haven't read it, run, don't walk to your nearest library) in the West Hollywood and Hollywood areas all throughout the day. I'm excited but a bit nervous. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, here is a list of some of my most favorite (fairly new) fiction books of the last few years. I own them in hardcover (except for the Europa Editions which, alas, aren't available in English in hardcover) and they have their own special space on my shelves. 



 

















What are some of your favorite works of fiction from the last few years?

Comments

Anonymous said…
The History of Love sounds really good. I have a good few books that I haven't read yet, so I am trying (honest) not to buy any more until I have read at least a few of them. Hope it's not too late to wish you a happy world book night.
Karen xx
Hagit said…
GREAT books!! We have a similar taste, so I think you'd probably like my recent reads - The Book Thief and In Cold Blood, and how about Ruth Ozeki's "My year of meat" and "all over creation" - have you read them? if not, I really think you'd like them! And I loved how you went and gave out those books :-)
Desert Mermaid said…
The Black Englishman, Carolyn Slaughter

Traveling with Pomegranates and The Dissident Daughter, Sue Monk Kidd

The Mapmakers, John Noble Wilford

Under this Broken Sky, Shandi Mitchell

Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Personal Geographies, Jill K. Berry

The Love Goddess Cooking School, Melissa Senate

Popular Posts