Letting Go: Thoughts on Unfinished Work, Art Supplies, and More

 


Once upon a time, I thought that I had to hold onto everything. That I had to use every product I had bought, all at once, all the time. After all, artists had full studios, didn't they?


I had paid money for it. Money meant time. I had invested my time in it. If I didn't use it or use it up, it was wasteful.


I also thought I had to finish everything. If a journal sat unfinished, there was no value in it.  That the only value was in the finished product, or finished work. 


If I had taken a workshop, I had to do all of the exercises. Dipping in and out didn't make for a good student. Did it?


Then, one day, I had an epiphany. 


The value was in the work itself, the action, the thoughts, the process, the experience, the mindset. 


It wasn't in the products used.


It wasn't if the work was finished.


It was what I had done at that moment in time.


The work didn't have to be finished to have value.


The products didn't have to be consumed. I didn't need to have "all the things" to be a good, or even, decent artist. In fact, I was far happier and far more focused and productive working with less. 


My mindset changed completely.


I packed up unused supplies and I donated or sold them. I did the same with my journals. None of these were wasted. They gave me exactly what I needed and wanted at that time. They helped me on my journey. 


I had a most excellent conversation today with an artist friend. She asked some excellent questions and shared her thoughts. I thought that I'd share this encounter with you here.


I'd love to hear your thoughts and feelings. Do you have to finish a page, painting, journal, etc...? Or, do you find the value to be in the learning and experimenting, and you're okay with unfinished work?


Do you feel more creative with "all" of the supplies, or are you far happier using less and focusing on what you really love?


Comments

Popular Posts