The Gift of a New Year

 


"And now let us believe in a long year that is given to us, new, untouched, full of things that have never been, full of work that has never been done, full of tasks, claims, and demands; and let us see that we learn to take it without letting fall too much of what it has to bestow upon those who demand of it necessary, serious, and great things." -Rainer Maria Rilke's Letter, 1 January 1907 to Clara Rilke

We had an impromptu salon today during The Art Life: Painting by the Season Workshop. While we chatted and shared various things, I painted my first page of 2023. 

I hadn't planned on the salon today nor had I planned on painting. I have a To Do List that's a mile long and growing. That said, I am so thankful that someone in the group gave me the idea to schedule a bonus salon today. It encouraged me to carve out time, slow down and give myself a gift, something that I truly needed. Something that I often encourage in others but I need reminders and nurturing in myself every now and then. What gift have you given yourself this week?



Comments

Popular Posts