Visiting the Norton Simon for Alternate Realities: Altoon, Diebenkorn, Lobdell, Woelffer

 

I visited the Norton Simon yesterday for their "Alternate Realities" exhibit

My second museum visit since early 2020. (The exhibit is up through this Monday! Make sure to catch it if you live in Los Angeles.) 

Here are some of my favorite pieces:

Untitled, Richard Diebenkorn Lithograph 1970


A, John Altoon 1956

 Fay's Christmas Painting, John Altoon 1958

 
Berkeley 24, Richard Diebenkorn 1954
 
"What I paint often seems to pertain to landscape but I try to avoid any rationalization of this either in my painting or in later thinking about it. I'm not a landscape painter (at this time, at any rate) or I would paint landscape directly." -Diebenkorn, 1956
 
Bottles, Diebenkorn 1960

Untitled #22, Diebenkorn 1948 
(I wanted to plop myself down on the ground in front of this and just sit with it all day. (Alas, I didn't.))


Winterscape, Emerson Woelffer 1955


#17-63, Frank Lobdell 1963

November, Frank Lobdell 1961

 
Which ones do you find interesting?



Comments

Popular Posts