Thoughts on Social Media (Pour a Cuppa, it's Long...)

 


I just posted this to Facebook and thought I'd share here:
 
If you're a working artist on social media, artist Sadie Jernigan Valeri has an excellent post and the comments are also a must read
 
I've seen other artists writing about this for months now. Some have commented (elsewhere) things such as, "it's summer! People are out and not online." Or, "we're in a pandemic and people are sick of social media." etc... (yet, I see the same people repeatedly posting to facebook, etc... and people with phones in hands everywhere I go. So, "it's summer or pandemic boredom" isn't the reason for a lack of engagement with artists.
 
I am seeing this again and again across platforms.
 
I rely on social media for my art business. It's how I not only share my work, my classes and my offerings (in other words, how I make my living) but it's how I connect with other creatives.
 
These days, it is impossible to see posts from my family, friends and favorite creatives on a regular, ongoing basis. I have to seek them out because they are lost in an endless sea of social media. 
 
So, how do we engage with all of this NOISE (yes, that's my inner "Grinch" voice coming out.) 
 
How do we communicate and connect with others and have *real* conversations beyond a ❤ or 👍 (if you even get that as a response these days?)
 
(I have thought long and hard as to why I post on social media. It's NOT only for my art business. I truly want to try to inspire and engage (and be inspired and engaged) with other humans. If they took away the like buttons and just left space for comments, I would be much happier. If they damned the algorithms all to hell, I'd be even happier. If they removed the ads and put everything back in chronological order, I'd do cartwheels down the street (not that I could ever do those, but, I'd try and that would be worth watching... lol)
 
I am spending less time on social media, other than seeking out certain artists or family/friends. I am spending more time making my paintings, reading and in my own virtual art community, the Art Life. 
 
Yet, again, I rely on social media for my work and I miss engaging with people (I do try my best.) Times are tough (trust me, I get that. They are very tough.)
 
My artist friends, how are you surviving in all of this? What are your thoughts?
 
I'd also love to hear from those who aren't working artists, what are your perspectives on all of this? 
 
(It's far from being the most important thing in the world right now but it is something that affects all of us who use and engage with the internet and social media.)

 

Comments

Popular Posts