My Version of GoodReads, Wish Lists, etc...


A friend asked me if I use Goodreads (I do not.) The index cards that you see above are my current wish list. I carry them within the pocket of my studio journal (which I carry with me everywhere.) I cross out the titles that I've found. Whenever I go into a used bookstore, I bring these with me. 


These are two of my cards from 2021 so you can see how I work (I cross off the ones I've found):


These lists are mostly compiled by reading or listening to artists talk about what they're reading or have read. Many of the titles come from my recent studies of Enrique Martinez Celaya's work and his recommendations. 


There isn't much fiction listed because I mostly raid my husband's vast library when something is mentioned that I haven't read or don't have. 


What can I say? I'm old school.


I'm planning on writing a post (soon) on some of my favorite books about why people paint (not to be confused with what are often labeled, "creativity books", but specifically, PAINT.)


Yes, I will buy books before anything else (that includes art supplies.) Books, then paint. (Thankfully, I have plenty of paint right now.)


You can explore more what's on my shelf by using the ON MY SHELF tag found here. (There are other tags in the post below.)


Some of my FAVORITE ART BOOKS are posted here (this list is added to on a regular basis.)

What are some of your favorite art books?

Comments

SharyleD said…
I see Derrida on your list. I’m familiar with him because my husband was a literature professor. You’re brave to read Derrida! I find his literary criticism difficult to read.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Thanks, SharyleD. I think it shall be something to dip in and out of, in chunks. I have read that he's very difficult to read but this has been on my list for quite some time. Excited about reading it.

Popular Posts