Observations on Acrylic Paint Caps

 



Paint caps come in all sizes and kinds. I thought I'd share a few comments on my favorite (as well as least favorite) paint caps. 

I know that I'm not alone in my struggles to open (or close) my acrylic paints. I try to wipe off excess paint that collects but sometimes in the midst of painting, we don't always have time for that! Nor do I have time (or patience) to coat lids with vaseline (not to mention the fact that I don't want it IN my paint!)

When painting, I always have a rubber kitchen gripper (yes, the round circles) on hand as well as a Golden GRIPR tool (which also works well to open other brand's paint tubes.) BOTH are a necessity in your studio.

In my opinion, the best caps are: 

Golden Cog Caps in GREY. Read more here if you have the old/new white caps as you can send them in for the new grey replacements here.) They are so much easier on my hands to open as well as close.

Holbein (in the photo look for the Ultramarine blue)

Sennelier

The worst caps: 

Charvin acrylics (I have such a hard time opening as well as closing these tubes which is frustrating as the tubes are pricey.)

Utrecht (see the yellow tube), the older Holbein (see Perylene Maroon), the older Golden (see Indian Yellow) All of these have cracked and split on me over time.

Jars:

Yes, I use paint in a jar (especially if it's a color that I use in abundance such as Titanium white.) Neither of my favorite brands (Holbein and Sennelier) are available in jars. 

Golden manufacturers the BEST jar. I can open and close it (I often leave the pull seal still attached and just peel it back when I need to scoop out paint with a palette knife.) 

The worst? Utrecht! I'm really not happy with your containers or lids AT ALL.

Quick tip: With acrylic paint/mediums, take out only what you need with a palette knife and NEVER put what you didn't use back into the jar. It contaminates what's inside and will grow mold. (I learned this the hard way many moons ago.)

What are your thoughts on acrylic paint caps and lids? Who are some of your favorites? Which ones don't you like?

Comments

Gina said…
Great blog post, Kelly! Thanks so much for the link to Golden for replacement caps; I have found them very hard to open in Heavy Body kinds. I have several older tubes plus newer Golden Open that have better ones. Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics have been my favorite for years and their lids are very easy to use. I haven't bought new tubes in a while so hope that hasn't changed. I keep a washcloth to help open and close difficult tubes and often resort to pliers!
Kelly Kilmer said…
Hi Gina, Thanks! I'm glad to hear that it was useful. I forgot about the Liquitex tubes as I don't have any in my stash but, yes, they are easy to open. Thanks for reminding me.

Popular Posts