Bringing Home the Goods: Los Angeles

 


My focus the last couple of years on what materials I use has really narrowed. I'm not buying markers, pens (looking at my drawers full I have no reason to) nor am I using stencils, stamps, etc... (I am going to be downsizing supplies sometime within the next couple of weeks and making grab bags to list on the blog.) Living in a small apartment, space has always been an issue. Plus, it's nice to use the funds to get what I'm actually in need of right now (clearly, more MDF panels! Ha! Things on my lists that will make filming online much easier for me, etc... )


I went into Blue Rooster in Los Feliz on Monday. I went in for sharpies for David. I came out with two black sharpies and a pile of MDF panels that I could hardly carry. 

I am excited! The Art Alternatives MDF panels are one of my favorite surfaces to paint on and I was happy to see them in stock that I, uh, bought them all. 


The next day, I went to Blick in West LA with a specific list of acrylics I needed. I stuck to the list except that I couldn't resist Sennelier's light turquoise and the Quinacridone red light. 


(Interested in finding out more about the collage/mixed media supply grab bags? Sign up for my mailing list and you'll be the first to know when they are going to become available. Also, I have a big announcement to share that's coming VERY soon!)


What are your favorite supplies lately?

Comments

tree said…
This is vitally important to me. After my cataract surgeries last year I took a long and very clear look at my living space and particularly the studio. For the decade before i retired i started amassing supplies and storing them in the room that would be my studio. That was a bad beginning because i purchased indiscriminately and continued that process well into retirement. In my 70s i finally corrected that behavior and have come to realize that real estate is precious under this roof. I expanded my studio into all the rooms save sleeping, bathing, and cooking. I am still off-loading supplies. It takes time especially during this pandemic. I am limiting my supplies to those that support painting, mark making and bookbinding. Because i work in acrylic and ink I am not using wash water anymore in my cleanup so humanity's grandchildren do not have to eat the polymers that i used to entertain myself. It is an ongoing process like everything else. Now I'm off to read th is blog post, thanks.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Thank you, Tree. I have heard similar stories over the years. This is something that I decided a long time ago. I live in a tiny apartment that I share with my husband (as well as our son until he moved out again recently. Now it's son's stuff that is stashed here.)I decided many moons ago that my focus was painting, collage and art journals. So, anything that doesn't relate to that was sold or donated. I have to repeatedly downsize my stash and reevaluate. Yes, no dumping of dirty paint water down the drain in this home either. Agreed: it is an ongoing process and we have to learn what works best for us.

Popular Posts