Glimpses of Time

 

Driving up the coast on a foggy summer's day, we reach Carmel-by-the-Sea. Dusk is approaching but we still have time to catch a glimpse of Tor House

The poet is long gone. An artist is visiting the house at this time. We do not disturb either of them as we stop and stare at the house overlooking the sea. 

I do not dare get out. We do not stay long. It is quiet, peaceful and no one needs to be disturbed. As we drive away, the locals out for a walk wave at us. We smile and wave back. Later, I search my books and the internet for photos of Tor House and Hawk Tower within. Bells against wood. That image stays with me. 

I haven't stopped thinking about the house, the poet or the coast since that day. My recent work is all a reflection on a short journey, brief glimpses of time translated into paint on paper.  

 
Supplies:

Journal I made using a discarded, hardcover book with  100 lb Accent Opaque card stock sized Working size (book closed) 9 3/4 x 8" (Repurposing a journal I began in January.)

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht, Charvin and Golden (heavy body)

Brushes

Painting knives

Princeton Catalyst Tools


Looked at:

Edvard Munch

Enrique Martinez Celaya


Reading:

The Selected Poetry of Robinson Jeffers

The Complete Smartist Guide

Francis Bacon Revelations

Comments

Popular Posts