What is the Best Red Water Based Paint Marker?



Top to bottom:

Holbein Acrylic Ink Pyrrole Red
Molotow Traffic Red 013 in 1.5mm and 2mm tip size
Posca Red 1.5mm
Posca Dark Red pc3m bullet


Posca in ANY size (extra fine for writing/drawing/mark making, and the larger tips for coloring/mark making, painting, etc...) Hands down, the BEST  all around paint marker on the market... EXCEPT their red. Their "red" has too much orange. It's not a RED red (that goes for the water based sharpies, too!)

Holbein (6mm is my favorite size, which are filled with their Acrylic Ink line. Their Pyrrole red is yummy BUT it is transparent (unless you mix in their opaque medium. More on that here.)

Montana markers are too chalky for my liking and their red isn't a fire engine, rosy apple red. 

The winner? Molotow (I want to stress that I will only buy Molotows in a 1.5, 2mm or larger. I won't buy their tech tips anymore as no matter how well you clean them, they stop working very quickly) I buy them in the colors that Posca doesn't have. Posca has an incredible array of colors but they have yet to sell a red that's like the Molotow red. I love the 1.5 size for writing, coloring/painting, drawing and mark making. The 2mm is a little thick for my writing tastes but you may like it for that. I usually color/paint with it. They are also refillable.


What's your favorite red in a water based paint marker?

Additional Posts:

Comments

Popular Posts