Looking at Payne's Grey Acrylic

 




A friend recently asked me about Payne's Grey in acrylic form and what it was supposed to look like. I responded, "a dark blueish grey," which I don't think helped her very much. After some comparison using what I had on hand, here are some color swatches as well as links that you may find helpful. 

Some thoughts: Look at the side by side screen shot of the Golden fluid vs the heavy body of Payne's Grey. They're completely two different colors. The fluid is more Ultramarine (which you can see in my swatch at the top) while the heavy body is more of what Payne's Grey is supposed to look like in my mind.

Utrecht should just go home. While I do reach for their professional grade paints quite a bit, I'd never buy Payne's Grey from them again. It's more black than anything.

Holbein is the one I'd reach for and would buy again. It's a nice, heavy body acrylic and consistent in both quality and consistency. My tube of Sennelier was more fluid like than heavy body.

Both Golden Fluid and Golden Heavy Body color contain the following pigments:

PBk7-Lamp Black

PB29-Ultramarine [Blue]

PBk7-Lamp Black

PB29-Ultramarine [Blue]

PBk11-Mars Black

PB60-Indanthrene Blue

PB29-Ultramarine [Blue]

PBk9-Ivory Black

If I had some Ivory Black or Lamp Black on hand, I'd try mixing my own. I may order some in the future and when I do, I'll let you know.

Do you have a favorite Payne's Grey acrylic?

Comments

Popular Posts