Compass

 


In 1976, my parents piled us into my Dad's truck to trek across the country to Utah from Massachusetts. My uncle was getting married. My parents and grandparents decided to make a vacation out of it. After the wedding, we drove to California. It was summer and we didn't have air conditioning in the car. So, by the time we go to the desert in Arizona, I'd had enough of the blazing heat. 

I had a tiny hand held comb and mirror set with a rooster on each. I threw the mirror out the window and it was never to be seen again. Then, I promptly forgot about it (and the trip. Remember, I was two years old.) 

A couple of years later, I was looking through my old toys and I found the brush. My mom told me the story of tossing it out the window, "into the desert." I was fascinated. The story never left me. 

Maybe I wasn't discarding it. Maybe I just left it behind so that I could retrieve it later.

I've driven through that desert many times over the past twenty years. I think of my young self on her first road trip and the idea that maybe that mirror was really a compass leading me back to the west coast.

Supplies used:

Journal I made using a discarded, hardcover book with 100 lb Accent Opaque card stock size 9 1/2 x 13" 

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht, Charvin and Golden (heavy body)

Painting knives

Brushes

Princeton Catalyst Tools

Awl

Looked at:

Edvard Munch
Enrique Martinez Celaya 

Reading:

On Art and Mindfulness Enrique Martinez Celaya

Comments

Popular Posts