What I'm Reading: Edvard Munch

 


I first started reading Edvard Munch: Behind The Scream by Sue Prideaux in the summer of 2016. That was year spent either in limbo, in hospitals or in doctor's offices. Looking back, I can understand why I put it aside. Now I'm seeing it with fresh eyes and am having trouble putting it down. 


Not being great with dates, I didn't realize that he began painting at a time when Van Gogh had *just* painted "The Potato Eaters," and not the works he is most known for. Munch was mocked and laughed at for his paintings, work such as his had never been seen in or out of Norway at that time. He was doing something completely fresh, he was painting emotion


Previous posts on Munch (including a very photo heavy one of his 2017 San Francisco exhibit can be found here.)

Comments

Popular Posts