What I'm Reading: Joan Mitchell

 


“Sometimes I don’t know exactly what I want (with a painting). I check it out, recheck it for days or weeks. Sometimes there is more to do on it. Sometimes I am afraid of ruining what I have. Sometimes I am lazy, I don’t finish it or I don’t push it far enough. Sometimes I think it’s a painting.”-Joan Mitchell 

I like to take my books to bed. That can be a bit of a challenge with thick art catalogues. In an effort to actually read the catalogues I have on my bursting shelves (instead of just looking at the pictures), I've set a goal of a chapter a day.  

It's been inspiring to balance the day time reading of the Joan Mitchell catalogue with late night reading of Patricia Alber's Joan Mitchell Lady Painter: a Life. I've been waking up and going to bed thinking of color and mark making. I'm seeking out how to paint feelings and experiences, personal landscapes and unpacking a lifetime in the form of paint on paper. I am swimming in waters that only seem familiar. 

I first read Lady Painter four years ago. It has hit me in an entirely different way this time. I relate to it more and am just flat out grateful that the book exists. (The catalogue I mention above is also very well written with stunning photos and personal memorabilia.) Last year, I began reading art history books with a color catalogue at the same time. I find it to be enormously helpful and inspiring to have the work in color to reference and study while reading the artist's life story. 

I'll be in the water with Joan Mitchell for the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to diving deep and learning from her. 

Comments

Popular Posts