Sunflowers I


“Sunflowers are something I feel very intensely. They look so wonderful when young and they are so very moving when they are dying. I don't like fields of sunflowers. I like them alone, or, of course, painted by Van Gogh." -Joan Mitchell 


I've been reading and looking at several Joan Mitchell books lately. I keep going back to the sunflowers.


Sunflower from 1969 is one of my favorites. (Better photo here.)


I've had a passion and fascination for sunflowers since I was little. I've been looking for a subject that I relate and have an attachment to, something I could paint in a series. Joan Mitchell led me back to Van Gogh and sunflowers. She gave me a new way of looking at them. Her work has sparked something in me. The mark making, the color, the kind of work that comes from deep within. 


I've painted five so far (I've shared two finished pieces here.) I'm excited about seeing how the others develop and sharing them with you.


I finished the most recent catalogue of her work and highly recommend it. 


Thanks to Joan, I'd like to eventually get some soft pastels to expand my mark making and gain confidence in my drawing. 


Supplies used:

Journal I made from hardcover book and 100 lb Accent Opaque cardstock size 9 3/4 x 16" opened 

Working size (single page) 9 3/4 x 8"

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht and Golden (heavy body)

Painting knives

Brushes

Princeton Catalyst Tools

Looked at: 

Joan Mitchell

Van Gogh 

Arshile Gorky

Richard Diebenkorn

Comments

Popular Posts