Threads


"This is one more piece of advice I have for you: don't get impatient. Even if things are so tangled up you can't do anything, don't get desperate or blow a fuse and start yanking on one particular thread before it's ready to come undone. You have to realize it's going to be a long process and that you'll work on things slowly, one at a time." -Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

I decided on a couple of things in advance for this journal:

1. I'd return to working page by page like I had done for many years (recently, in an effort to work larger, I had begun working across the fold.) Not only are supplies scarce and precious but I am working in a different way and until I gain confidence, single sides will suffice.

2. This is still a visual diary. I have no plans to write on these pages at the moment (and that may change) but I will pull images from experiences, memories and life as it unfolds. 

3. I don't have to explain things. (Laughing as I type this one up.)

4. It is all an experiment.

5. The work is not precious.

6. Nothing lasts forever. Work for the experience, to gain confidence, and to encourage others. That said, make what you need to make.

7. I want the work to be as honest and as real as possible. 

8. Safer at home orders began mid March 2020. Los Angeles has been high in cases for many months. There are moments I don't want to get out of bed. I will continue to do my work. I am a painter but I am also a teacher. Maybe if I continue to share my process and thoughts, it will encourage others as well.

When I began, I had the idea of stitching and threads. I reached for different colors with almost every step (including lilac, which has never been a favorite.)

I was stuck after the first loop. David and I watched the film, "Ammonite." I got one thing from the film, there's a scene where the main character takes a step and the ribbon in her hat flies in the wind. I sat up and realized, "That's what I'm looking for!" Inspiration is everywhere if you keep your eyes open.

Supplies used:

Journal I made from hardcover book and 100 lb Accent Opaque cardstock size 9 3/4 x 16" opened 

Working size (single page) 9 3/4 x 8"

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht and Golden (heavy body)

Stabilo Aquarellable pencils

Painting knives

Brushes

Princeton Catalyst Tools

Looked at:

Ernst Ludwig Kirchner 

Arshile Gorky
Richard Diebenkorn
 

Comments

Popular Posts