Thoughts on Painting and Making Work for Yourself


The above is a quote by painter Edward Hopper found in the book, Art is the Highest Form of Hope. However, I don't think that they got the quote right (please correct me if I am wrong.) What I've found that he said was, "I don't think I ever tried to paint the American scene; I'm trying to paint myself."

That said, is there anything wrong with painting only for yourself? 

In this country, when we share that we paint (or make books, or sew, or draw or bake), we are often greeted with two questions:

"That's nice but what are you going to do with it?"

Or, my favorite:

"Are you going to sell it?"
 
It's as if the only value of work is one in which money can be made from it.
 
My work is primarily done in book form (inside of a journal that I make with my own hands.) I have never sold a fully finished journal nor do I want to.
 
What I know, is that when I work, I try to silence the voices. I ask questions while I paint. I think. I process. I dialogue. I don't think what or who am I doing this for? I don't think am I going to sell this or am I going to teach a class on it or anything like that. I try not to ask or judge, "is it good?" (at least not in the beginning, the question is usually, is it what it needs to be?) I do the work and have a conversation with myself. It's how I've worked for more than twenty years. For me, it's how I work best.
 
“When you start working, everybody is in your studio- the past, your friends, enemies, the art world, and above all, your own ideas- all are there. But as you continue painting, they start leaving, one by one, and you are left completely alone. Then, if you are lucky, even you leave.”-John Cage
 
So, when I work, I'm working for myself. I am encouraged by my students and my friends and those who are interested in my work but I am not making the work for them. I would make the work even if I didn't have an Instagram or a blog to post them to. I make the work because I have to.
 
Now I hope you understand why that quote resonated so strongly with me.

Comments

StarS said…
Isn’t that the truth! It is so hard to escape from having to have a “real” purpose for making art... especially since the people who are defining real purpose are not you. You have helped me so much. You have given me the courage to be brave and continue on even when my loved ones don’t get why I would art journal for “nothing”... or just don’t get it at all. Even my dear sweet husband doesn’t quite understand but he has become open to my art and though he doesn’t get it, he has realized that it helps me. The most important thing I learned is that making art, journaling or doodling makes me a happier more productive person. It brings me joy, relief, and an outlet for all the emotions and jumble of issues rolling around in my brain. I am so deeply greatful that so many years ago I found a wonderful art instructor who taught me how to art journal online... and allowed me to believe that I might, just might be able to make art. Thank you Kelly!! You don’t know how much you have changed my life!!!

Popular Posts