Monday, November 09, 2020

Mémoire


The finished page didn't quite work out in the direction I had wanted it to be (I will save that idea for another day.) As a study, I'm happy with it. 

The dried flower is based on a photo of a dried rose that hung in my kitchen for many years until it just fell apart. The embellishment on the left is playing around with a fragment I gleaned from a Richard Diebenkorn painting. 

At one point, the flower was really interesting and very different with how I had layered and scraped it. Alas, I overworked it and it became something completely different. I had to stop scraping as I started tearing into the paper. I tried patching it up with gel medium and that worked to save it. I am quite happy with the textures in it.

Note how the initial sketch is a guide I ended up abandoning.

Been working on this off and on for five days now. I'm glad to be able to move on.

Supplies used:

Journal I made from hardcover book and 100 lb Accent Opaque cardstock size 13 1/4 x 20" opened

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht and Golden

Stabilo Aquarellable pencils in black and blue

Painting knives 

Brushes

Princeton Catalyst Tools

Looking at: Cezanne and Richard Diebenkorn

Reading: Cezanne by Alex Danchev



No comments: