Conversing with Giorgio Morandi

 






I almost forgot the paint marks on the wall and the marks on the table!
My palette
Photo of Morandi's objects in his studio (note the paint marks on the wall as well as on the table surface.) 

I wanted to try something very different for me. I've been looking at the works of Giorgio Morandi for a few months now. This was my first attempt at picking up my brush and exploring my interpretation of his work. 

I wish I had saved the earlier photos I took of my painting his objects. I ended up having to stretch the objects out a bit because I had messed up on their placement near each other. It would have been interesting to see what the piece looked like originally. 

I would definitely do this again. If things were different now, I would go exploring thrift stores for different sized bottles, wood blocks, and interesting containers. Instead, I will use what I have and try to make it work the next time I try to learn from Morandi. (I'd really like to find different chairs about dollhouse size and use those for models. Not Morandi but Kilmer.)

I'm already being pulled in a different direction by another artist but Morandi intrigues me and I will return to study him some more.

Supplies used:

Journal I made from hardcover book and 100 lb Accent Opaque cardstock size 13 1/4 x 20" opened

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht and Golden

Stabilo Aquarellable pencils in black and brown

Painting knives 

Brushes

Princeton Catalyst Tools

Looking at: Giorgio Morandi

Reading: Giorgio Morandi Works, Writings and Interviews 

Comments

Popular Posts