Listening


For the past few months now, I've been trying to work in new ways. In the past, I haven't felt comfortable working in multiple journals. Now, as I explore a (new to me) way of working, I want to start fresh. 

In an effort to try to push myself out of my comfort zone, to try to get more work done, and to keep my hands moving, I'm exploring working in two journals at a time. 

Both are journals that I made. I have the smaller book with an already painted cover that I made and loved from months ago (more on that later.) For the larger journal, I started by working on the cover as I usually do. Working small has always been more challenging to me than working large. It's even more challenging when trying to work small while standing at an easel!

I'm working page by page, back and forth between the two books. I'm not dating the pages individually like I usually do. (I plan on either dating the inside cover when I began and when I finish or I'll date the first and last page.)

The new work has been challenging but I'm trying to remember that it should be that way. It shouldn't be easy. 

I've been reading a lot of books about artists from the past as well as listening to podcasts and people talk about art. Jenny Saville called it, "working with a companion artist." It feels a little less lonely when you know that others have felt the same way staring at a blank substrate. 

Onward! 

Supplies used:

Journal I made from hardcover book and 100 lb Accent Opaque cardstock size 13 1/4 x 20" opened

Acrylics: Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht and Golden

Stabilo Aquarellable black pencil

Painting knives 

Brushes

Princeton Catalyst Tools

Looking at: Cezanne 

Comments

Popular Posts