My Painted Life: 24 December 2019 - 8 June 2020 Journal
















After working on the cover of the journal (beginning on the 24th of December 2019), I didn't pick the journal up again until the 2nd of February 2020. During the month of January, I had other projects to finish. I don't like to work on more than one journal (or page at a time) so I set this book aside to finish other work.

This is the second largest journal that I've ever worked on.

This is the first time I have worked across the page in this size (an open page is 20 x 15". The book is 10 x 15" closed.)

Each page took several days to complete. Some pages took more than a week. When I didn't have a paint brush, marker or scissors in hand, I was processing and thinking about the page. I was studying various artists (reading, looking and listening to podcasts/youtube videos.) Each page is meticulously and thoughtfully layered until it said what needed to be said. I struggled the most with the words on the second to last page (with the artist at the easel) as the United States is in the middle of a mass revolution in thoughts and actions, and hopefully (finally) moving towards a massive systemic change.

Artists studied include:
Henri Matisse
David Park
Richard Diebenkorn
Vincent Van Gogh
Paul Cezanne
Wayne Thiebaud
Elaine de Kooning
Arshile Gorky
Delita Martin
Jack Whitten

Handmade journal using a discarded book cover, waxed linen thread and 100 lb Accent Opaque cardstock

Media:
Acrylics (Holbein, Sennelier, Utrecht, Golden)
Water based paint markers (Posca, Holbein, Molotow, Sharpie)
.35 Rapidosketch pen with india ink
4 in One Stabilo Aquarellable water soluble pencils in black, brown, orange, red, yellow, blue, green
water brush pen
Coccoina glue stick

Video flip through:




Comments

Popular Posts