Where I Work


I decided last week to put away my in person workshop supplies, for the time being. It's very sad but it will give me more space to try to set up an area for teaching online workshops. My friend, Maria, gave me an easel in January and I fell in love with it. I have my easel set up here.


To the left of the easel, on top of the standing desk, is a metal box (from Guadalupe's Fun Rubber Stamps in Santa Fe) full of my acrylic paints. (Yes, it's still messy but I'm still cleaning it so hush.)

Take a peek (more here.)
Behind me are my wheeled carts (another gift from my generous friend, Maria.) These hold my essential supplies including my water based paint markers. I moved these against the window in the hope that it would be a better surface for filming in person workshops. (I also wanted better access to my art books, but more on that in another post.)
Marker stash:


Now I need to find something to hold my phone as I film and to find a good light bulb that is equivalent to daylight for when I film.

I like being able to stand up as I work. It encourages me to move away from my work, too, for a better perspective. After years of working on the floor, this really makes me very happy.

(For what it's worth, I live in a very small one bedroom apartment. I keep my supplies to a minimum: paper, paint, pens/markers, glue, brushes. I found out many moons ago not only what works for me in terms of what I want to do, but how to limit my supplies so that I'm not overwhelmed with materials and how/where to store them. My class materials live in a cabinet in the kitchen, a large crop in style stored under my living room table (you can't see it but it's to the left of the rolling cart) and collage material in the trunk of my car.) You can also probably tell that I tend to buy books before art supplies, but that's a story for another post.

How do you store your supplies? Where do you work? I'd love to see your space!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cool. Are you painting a canvas on the easel or is that your art journal?
Taylor
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing! I can see how working while standing would change the dynamic of your work. I love your recent pages.
Love seeing an artists workspace!! Sorry you put away supplies for your live workshops, but you know I am in a similar boat with my own library workshops at a standstill.=\

I've been making my videos with my iPhone using an old tabletop tripod I picked up somewhere ages ago. The legs extend 6.5" in height, so I sometime use some books for more height to give me room with my 'hands-in-action' demo videos - it works for me! =)

Good luck making more online courses, I know they will be great!
Marlene Durbala said…
I love how you use every square inch of space and make do with what you have. These "Where Women Create" magazines are not reality. When the magazine started, it showed reality. There was one artist that used her dishwasher for storage and her kitchen table was where she worked. That is reality! I still have that issue. Thank you for what you do.

Popular Posts