Sanctuary

I've been working on this page off and on for five days. 

On the third day, I got sick of the woman. I added a face mask. I listened to the news about people "protesting" having to stay home. I got angry and I painted over the woman completely. 

I understand that people are scared and hurting deeply. These are feelings being felt worldwide. People do not know if and when they will be able to afford to keep their homes (rented or mortgaged), to keep food on the table, and if they will ever be able to return to work, if their job will still be there. I know that I am not alone.

I also know to listen to science. I know to watch what is happening when restrictions are loosened elsewhere. I know that I am not alone.

Yet, many of us feel alone. 

I wanted to make a page that felt empty. 

At first, I thought about painting a black veil over the figure. I didn't want that.

The girl went away, replaced by a painted chair. 

I added layers and layers of paint (with an occasional Stabilo All pencil in black, blue, red, and brown, smudged with a rag.) I scraped and let some of the previous layers of color (as well as the red from the girl's jacket) peek through. I ripped part of the page when scraping. Oh well. It's ephemeral. As are we.

I shared part of the process on social media, as I usually do. I received several comments that really bothered me. When I shared that I was angry, I was told to, "giggle" or, "only make art about things that weren't happening in the world", or, "your work is so beautiful but sometimes you say the most ugly things." Meaning no disrespect, Fuck. This. 

My art has and always been about my truth. It documents my life, my view, my perception and experience of the world around me. 

I share to encourage others to pick up scissors, brush or marker, to be creative. To experience. To slow down. To think. To feel.

I can't help it. It is how I am and always will be. You can follow along and express your thoughts on my work, but don't ever tell me what my work should or shouldn't be, or what I should (or shouldn't) make art about.

Stay safe and stay the fuck at home, unless you're an essential worker. 

Comments

MissBooksmith said…
Kelly, this post shows you are still Kelly, honest and passionate. Sorry about your books. Karen x

Popular Posts