Ideas on Starting: Color

The work in progress (WIP) journal spread shown above looked like this earlier today:
I always try to have a few tricks up my sleeve when I start working, little self imposed "rules" to fall back on. 

In an effort to continue to push myself out of my color comfort zone, two of the tricks are:

1. Start with a color you rarely use (or a color you don't like.) This allows for new textures, colors and color combinations to form. It pushes you beyond the familiar.

2. Learn from other artists. I didn't like where I started yesterday, so last night, I flipped through a book on the work of Elmer Bischoff. Using the three primary colors together are not ones I usually reach for but the grey in this called to me:
Woman Dresssing, 1959, Elmer Bischoff 

I don't know in which direction it's headed yet, but I've started. Sometimes that's all that matters.

Do you have any color tricks you use?

Comments

Popular Posts