Getting More Mileage from your Paints

I truly miss teaching in person. There is an energy in being in a room full of creative people. I haven't taught since the first weekend in March, having had to cancel all of my March, April and May workshops. I miss my people but stay home we must to keep each other safe.

I'm trying to get some things set up so I can eventually share things and do online workshops and live stuff. It's been hard to focus on online workshops though at the moment... but, I do have thoughts about it and the wheels are spinning. 

In the meantime, I will continue to share what I can, when I can. My internet speed is a little iffy sometimes and I am trying to figure out lighting and something to hold the phone while I film. 

I thought I'd share some tips on making your paint last longer, especially if you are buying better quality paints (Holbein, Sennelier, Golden, Liquitex, Nova, etc... Do not do this with cheap-o dollar, craft paints. 

Read more here first. Go. I'll be here when you get back.
I told you I would be here. 

In the middle of a pandemic, you can't run to the art store to get what you "need" (ahem, want.) If you have gel or fluid medium at home (any finish), take it and mix it about 50/50 with your paints. (Note: heavy body or thick tube paints, I usually mix 50/50. Golden or Holbein fluid acrylics, I mix 10% paint and 90% medium as the fluid acrylics are highly concentrated and a little will last you a long time.)

I'm using a matte medium with Holbein Black. I accidentally squeezed out more medium than black but it will work. I prefer the matte gel medium as it is thicker but I will use what I have.
Note how I use a palette knife to mix. I mix it thoroughly. Clean the palette knife when done.
Apply the paint with the painting knife OR a brush. 
I like to build up thin layers. I will let my first layer dry and add another layer. 
Different mediums do different things. If you add what is labeled, extender, you will make an acrylic act like an oil and it will extend your drying time. That, I do not want as I want my paint to dry fast. 

As an fyi, I NEVER use a heat tool to dry paint. Acrylics are basically dried plastic and why would you want to use something to heat plastic? So, I build up the layers thin and sometimes pounce or stipple with a dry rag or paper towel to speed up the drying time. (Also, if you use a heat tool or hair dryer to speed up the drying time, you're basically just drying the top layer and not what's underneath it.)

Also note that I use very little paint. A little paint goes a long way (especially if you can't run to the art store right now.)

You will find more acrylic paint tips in the link above, as well as here as well as an extensive list of my current favorite acrylics and supplies here.

Ping me if you have a question at Egorey99 at sbcglobal dot net 

Do you have a favorite acrylic paint tip?

Comments

Popular Posts