Palette Pages


A couple of years ago, I was teaching at Pnina Gold's studio in San Diego. I watched while two students grabbed 8 x 10" canvas frames and squeezed out dabs of paint. 

A lightbulb went off! 

This was their palette!


When they finished, I watched them use palette knives to scrape the color in different directions, spreading little dots of acrylic across their canvas.

I got goosebumps. 

They said they got the idea from taking workshops at Art on Third in San Diego. 

I thought about it, wondering what I could do with it and jumped on the idea. 

I live in a one bedroom apartment in Los Angeles. I didn't have room for canvas (nor is it a favorite work surface.) I realized with paper, I could make books, additional pages, postcards and more.

I started handing out different sized sheets of cardstock in classes. I explained that it usually takes me several weeks to layer color, using the palette paper only when needed. It wouldn't be a masterpiece of even a, "work of art" after one painting session.

Some folks understood seeing the possibilities in working this way and would bring them back to classes, adding more layers. Others would throw them away.

I taught a couple of workshops using this as the starter idea.

Here's an example of one that I will keep adding layers to:

The last couple of weeks, I've been using flat wood panels. I LOVE working on wood. I can scrape it down. It's inexpensive and it's easier for me to store than canvas.

I've seen other instructors use old hardcover books, deli paper, etc...

Do you reuse your palette? If so, how?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've "discovered" deli papers for a palette - it's fun to see what will show up as I use a sheet for wiping brushes, brayer's, etc. then doing dendric art by folding a page in half to see what appears when I reopen it! I'm thinking I'll save my deli papers for a year and then bind them into an art journal.
Michelle Darby said…
You know I do, I learned it from you!
♥️♥️♥️
Michelle
Sassy said…
Loved, LOVED the session where we took the pallets and layered and collaged on purpose and cut them up. Still some of my favorites and still fun to mark on.

Popular Posts