Manet and Modern Beauty at Getty (and much more)




My phone was misbehaving and I apologize for the poor quality of this photo... Does anyone know the history of artists using tambourines as canvas? I've seen other artists use them and it intrigues me.

  
What interests me most in this painting is the brushwork to the right of the figure.


A paint box! I LOVE seeing artist's tools!!!


Clearly, one photo wasn't enough!




I'm also clearly a sucker for artists painting fan shaped canvas pieces.


I. loved. this. painting. I could have stood in front of it all day long and have been quite happy. This was probably my favorite piece of entire exhibit.


My second favorite piece of the exhibit but you can't take photos of it. So, I took a photo of the sign. You can see the painting here.


While on my trip this summer, I started drawing and painting oranges and lemons. I'm a bit obsessed with fruit at the moment. I left wanting to go home and paint all of it.



 The Vase!


The exhibit was incredible but also too far crowded the day after a major holiday. We stepped outside to find a living Turner painting:


Ah, Cezanne.

  

From the look of this crowd, there are no other paintings in this room... They ignore the three Cezannes to the right and the Degas to the left (except to bump into it as they try to take selfies) to focus on Vincent. They take a photo and walk away. A young girl yells at me, "I want to take a photo!" as I stand there actually looking at the painting.


Not the Degas I mentioned above. I couldn't get near it after I left Irises.

 
Turner!


Jean-Francois Millet lured me in and I was happy to find more art supplies to take photos of along with a few of the pastels below from the exhibit Peasants in Pastel:



The crowds were starting to get to us and I was itching to get home and paint. On the way out, we stopped in to see Käthe Kollwitz: Prints, Process, Politics. These are two of my favorites, a self portrait and The People:
 






Which is your favorite? Have you been to The Getty?

Comments

Popular Posts