Visiting Vincent at the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, CT


Last year when I visited the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, Connecticut I was told that there was only one Van Gogh on display:


This time I was told to go, "left at the pumpkin" and up the staircase to my left:

Vase with Poppies was waiting. Separate from the other paintings 

 
 

I've read various comments online about the painting saying that it's not, "top notch Van Gogh." Comments like these turn me off. Everything that an artist creates is like one pearl on a string of pearls. It leads you to the entire piece, the overall body of work. It is part of what makes the artist that artist. I could have spent all day in that room with that one painting. Alas, the museum was closing soon and I had to get on the road. Not to mention that my Mother was patiently waiting in our car full of stuff (we drove Tristan's things from Montreal to Massachusetts to Los Angeles. The car was PACKED, not even any room for a Van Gogh! Well... postcards and a couple of goodies from the museum gift shop.) 


Adieu, Vincent, for now!




Comments

Popular Posts