"Wait! I want to know everything!" Tipping my Hat to Bruno Ganz


I woke up to the news that actor Bruno Ganz had left the planet.  Bruno was the main actor in Wim Wenders' gem, Wings of Desire. Wings of Desire is a film that I saw more than twenty years ago and yet I think of it as a close friend. Every time I see a clip, a still, read a quote, or hear the music, my heart skips a beat. 

Wings of Desire is a film that stays with you and becomes a part of you. When I woke to the news that Bruno was gone, I felt like I had lost a close friend. How people that you have never met can have such a profound impact on your life. 

I will leave you with a quote from the film. If you haven't seen Wings of Desire, it's out there waiting for you to discover it... I'd love to hear your thoughts on the film and Bruno Ganz.

"When the child was a child,
It was the time for these questions:
Why am I me, and why not you?
Why am I here, and why not there?
When did time begin, and where does space end?
Is life under the sun not just a dream?
Is what I see and hear and smell not just the reflection of a world before the world?
Is there really such a thing as evil, and people who really are the Bad Guys?

How can it be that the I, who I am,
didn’t exist before I came to be,
and that, someday, the I who I am,
will no longer be who I am?" -
Lied Vom Kindsein (Song of Childhood)– Peter Handke.

You may also be interested in:

Comments

Cynthia said…
So sad to hear of Mr. Ganz's passing. He was brilliant in every role, but Wings of Desire will definitely hold a special place in my heart forever. Once seen, I don't believe anyone could forget it. I do have it on DVD, fortunately, so we'll have to be sure and watch it this weekend. Thank you for sharing the words.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Cynthia, <3.

Popular Posts