Old Holland New Masters Classic Acrylics


Last month, while teaching in Santa Fe, I finally had the chance to stop at Artisan in Santa Fe. What a gem of an art store

While there I finally had a chance to see tubes of Old Holland acrylics in the flesh! I couldn't resist picking up a tube of the brightest yellow gold I've ever seen in a tube of paint, Iridescent Yellow. It's creamy, semi-opaque and spread like butter on my artwork. It left me wanting more!

I've been having a bit of a love affair with Holbein and Sennelier acrylics but I'm now eager to try more from Old Holland. I'll keep you posted when I do... I prefer to buy them in person so I may have to wait a bit but we'll see how long I can resist.

Have you tried Old Holland acrylics? Any favorite colors? Where do you buy yours?

Comments

Stephanie said…
Hi - how do they compare to Golden? The Sennelier Abstract line is nice too.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Hi Stephanie,

I used to think (like everyone else) that Golden is the best, but they're not. Don't get me wrong, Golden is a *great acrylic* but my favorite these days are the Holbein, Sennelier and I'm really digging these Old Holland New Masters Classic Acrylics. For example, put the Holbein fluorescents next to the Golden ones and they're light years away in pigmentation. Holbein is MUCH better. I'd like to buy more of the Old Holland but have never seen them locally in Los Angeles. I also use the Blick Matte acrylics as well as Nova paints. I tried but couldn't get into the Sennelier Abstract line.
Stephanie said…
Hi Kelly - Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look around for the Old Holland New Masters line and try them.

Popular Posts