That Sense of Place


One of the things I've been trying to do before I trek to a new area is to research local artists (both dead and living.) There's so much to be learned from those who create in a specific area. 

One of my favorite quotes about the artist Richard Diebenkorn is that you couldn't move him more than a few feet and not have his location have a profound impact on his artwork. It definitely shows in both Diebenkorn as well as O'Keeffe. Her New York paintings are very different than her New Mexico ones. Their work and being able to see the land where they lived (O'Keeffe in New York and New Mexico and Diebenkorn in Albuquerque, Santa Monica, and Berkeley) has made an impact on me and how I see and process what's around me. I'm trying to reflect it in my work especially when I travel.

Thank you to those of you who have reached out with some ideas for new teaching  venues for me. I really appreciate it. I'm always looking for new places to trek to teach. Thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts