Victor Hugo's Stones to Stains at the Hammer Museum Los Angeles




David and I were at the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles the other day for a special 70mm screening of Alfonso Cuaron's ROMA. (On a side note, I can't stop thinking about this film and if you can see it in a theatre, you should even though it's on Netflix now.) While David waited in line, I ran to see the Victor Hugo Stones to Stains (on view through December 30th.)

My photos do not do the work justice in any way. The art really should be experienced in person but for those of you not in Los Angeles, there's an exhibit catalog (cough cough, ordered.) Also, the Hammer has some of the work online.  

Some things that jumped out at me from the exhibit:

His teeny tiny handwriting. I wanted to press my face (and fingers) across the glass to get a better view. At the same time, I don't want to have my first experience of being kicked out of an art museum. I refrained from doing so and used the zoom on my lens as much as possible.

The stencils. The man was making stencils from paper and using them in his artwork repeatedly. Early wannabe street artist or genius before his time or both? 

Sepia ink. Who doesn't love sepia ink especially when it's used to scratch out mistakes and to paint and draw!

Writing on stones. They were found in his garden after his death. I've got a bit of an obsession with artists and the things that they collect/appreciate. O'Keeffe also had a passion for stones. (Cough cough. Early street artist and genius!)

Collage! I love learning that one of the world's greatest authors was also a collage artist.

The words social justice and Victor Hugo go hand in hand. This exhibit shows how passionate he was about his beliefs.

I plan on going back to visit before the exhibit ends on the 30th. If you're in or near Los Angeles, you should really try to go. (These works were rarely seen during his lifetime. How lucky we are!) 

The Hammer is always free (parking fees vary and are posted on their website.) When you're there, you can also say hi to Van Gogh and Moreau (they will be off collection January 2nd through the 23rd, 2019...)

"I am a soul. I know well that what I shall render up to the grave is not myself. That which is myself will go elsewhere. Earth, thou art not my abyss!"

I am a soul. I know well that what I shall render up to the grave is not myself. That which is myself will go elsewhere. Earth, thou art not my abyss!
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/victor_hugo_398815
I am a soul. I know well that what I shall render up to the grave is not myself. That which is myself will go elsewhere. Earth, thou art not my abyss!
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/victor_hugo_398815





 




















Comments

Popular Posts