Authenticity: Finding Your Voice



One of the things that I often hear folks talk about is wanting to find their own voice. What people don't realize is that finding your voice in your art takes three things: work, time and commitment. The more you work, the more your own voice will come out. Of course, this takes time. Time to learn who you are and what you like, what you are drawn to and what kind of voice you want to have. The more committed you are to doing the work and finding your voice, the better artist and person you will be.

People also don't realize that your voice changes. Constantly. You try on new voices. You borrow, blend, and alter voices. You take from them what you need. This is how we learn. We meld our voices with those who came before us, creating unique voices that, with work, time and commitment, are our own.

Sometimes our voice feels like it has been drowned out. Sometimes we need a break and need to develop a new voice. This is all a part of the process. This is the wonderful thing about working in a journal (vs a canvas or one off.) You can see how your voice changes and morphs. You can see it become finely tuned. You will see it be all over the place. You will learn how to focus it, tweak it, tune it and get what you want from it. Then you may grow bored with your voice and the process starts all over again.

Learning. Becoming something new. Remaking. Reworking. It's all a part of the process. It's all a part of finding your voice.    

Comments

Caterina Giglio said…
I so agree... great post...
VickiRossArt said…
Excellent post, Kelly! So true. When I started painting, my teachers/mentors advised picking one main and maybe a secondary medium and focus on one genre, portrait or landscape, etc. my reply was how am I supposed to do that until I have explored all of them? And that is exactly what I did. Some I didn't like as much as others, but most I have worked with enough to have mastered basics. It is a fun journey!
Anonymous said…
This is soooooo true. Such a simple concept but still so difficult to embrace. I think there is a shyness to us humans, not only to reveal ourselves to others, but also to ourselves. It takes a lot of patience to be able to sit with the self, to let the self sit with an emotion, to sit with its own knowing. There is so much richness there, in that space. Only good can come of that. You are such a guidepost for so many. I'm truly grateful to see you repeating what you've said all along - because no matter how many times we've done what it takes to go to those places, we still feel shy, sometimes, and hesitant. Because you show up, it reminds us to, too. I've been wondering why my creativity isn't flowing as much these days. I've been writing a lot (because of my program) and haven't created anything visual in a long while. I have just come to realize that in my case to be able to write, I also have to engage with the part of myself that creates without words. The two act synergistically and feed each other. I will make time, even with my crazy busy schedule because... it's important.
I agree that finding your own voice takes time and patience. It develops as we work, and work, and work. You can't rush it, only enjoy the journey along the way and try not to put too much pressure on yourself. I would love to come to one of your workshops, but that seems unlikely since I live in Kentucky. Wishing you much success with these upcoming endeavors!

Popular Posts