Jet Pens: Tombow Markers and Guillermo del Toro

Here's the early version of the work in progress page (the almost finished page is at the bottom of this post)
As part of their sponsorship program, JetPens sent me a $25 gift certificate to play with.


Many, many, many moons ago I used (and loved) Tombow markers. The last time I used them was when I taught in a sanitarium (which is a whole other story and seems to be a whole 'nother lifetime ago) and I left them behind for the patients to use. Other pens and markers quickly replaced them and I forgot about them, dismissing them simply as a rubber stamping supply that I didn't need. Oh, how very wrong I was.

My husband was reading Guillermo del Toro's book, The Cabinet of Curiosities and asked if I knew what kind of markers and pens del Toro used. A discussion about art supplies quickly ensued. That week, the JetPens gift certificate arrived in my mailbox. I knew exactly what I was going to use it on.


 http://www.harpercollins.com/9780062082848/guillermo-del-toro-cabinet-of-curiosities

When the package arrived, I ripped them open and immediately sat down with my journal to play. What I love about the Tombow brush markers is that they work well with the media that I already use. I love blending them with a water brush, combining them with layers of water based paint markers. I started using them on the above page (pink and yellow markers blended into the page.) When you mix them with other media, they are transparent so be mindful of this on your pages. They're not permanent so if you get them too wet, they wipe completely away. If you collage, make sure that the glue is dry and that if you add water to make the markers move that it is only a little at a time or else the paper will buckle. I do like the look of the wash of color that they add to the page. I will admit that I've already gone out and bought a very small handful of a few more colors. I definitely don't need as many as Guillermo has but I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted with an old favorite art supply.

Thanks to JetPens, Guillermo del Toro and David!

 
Almost finished page using Collage Ephemera, Stencils, Water based paint markers, Acrylic paints, Tombow Markers, colored pencils, Sakura Glaze Pens, Decorative Tape and Pencils.

Comments

Popular Posts