Journaling for Yourself

17 March 2013 Journal Pages

One of the things which I'm constantly asked is, "Who are you doing this for?" My response to that is usually, "For myself with the intent that when I die, my journals will go to my son." I was thinking last night why isn't the first part a "good enough" answer? Why isn't FOR ME enough?

I make my journals FOR ME. 

I work in my journals to explore, express, document, process, play, meditate and to simply BE. Why is that not enough? Exercise, meditation, socializing, etc... are all socially accepted norms of different ways of spending your time but why isn't art journaling or even just art making? Why is it looked down upon as frivolous and a complete waste of time. 

"Are you going to sell it?"

"What are you going to do with it?"

Why does everything have to come down to money and purpose? Why is it not socially acceptable to simply create something because you want to? Why is not deemed to have value?

I make my journals FOR ME. Yes, I want my son to have them when I die. I don't want them destroyed. Yes, I would be devastated if something happened to them. Yet, I make them for ME to process and experience my life in the moment NOW. Why is something so simple so hard for so many to understand?

Some food for thought for today. 

Comments

donna!ee said…
AMEN Kelly! sharing evidence of being/doing this life via journaling our aspirations for each day as we know it....it's quite enough indeed!!!
blest be ;D
I absolutely agree with you on this Kelly! The journals are for me first, whatever happens to them, after me is all a mystery; although my kids tell me they want every single one of them. :)
Kimberly said…
Oh my goodness, how many times have I heard the same questions? As much as my significant other (and other family and friends) supports my desire to create art, he just doesn't understand the "why" of it. Why don't I sell it? What's if "for?"

Kelly, you're so right, it is FOR ME. There doesn't have to be a reason, other than just because I want to do it.

When I went to my first art retreat earlier this year, the biggest surprise I had was how good it felt to be with other people who didn't ask those questions - they got it. They were just as excited to talk about washi tape and online classes and finding cool ephemera as I was.

So, Kelly, I "get" you. :-)
--Kimberly
Cate Rose said…
Excellent post, and so right on!
Anonymous said…
Oh Kelly, that is just how I feel too.
Anne with an e said…
I think it has something to do with the fact that most people enjoy doing artsy stuff (and actually journaling too) when they're a kid & then "grow up" & stop.. So if you keep at it there has to be a REAL reason. Which is very silly, & like you pointed out- there's lots of socially acceptable pastimes that have no "real" reason.

How about: "Oh you play golf every weekend? How come? Are you gonna go pro?" ;)
Sherry said…
I agree!! It is ENOUGH!
Caatje said…
Ah yes, the 'but what is it for?' question. I've become pretty prolific and also more open about my artsy endeavours in the past years and I get that question of 'are you going to make a living with this?' (or any variation on that) more and more. The more serious I take my creative expression the more people seem to think it's about money or a job.
I recently decided to cut down my working hours at my office job so I could have more time for my art and of course the first responses were along that samen line. I think most people are just trying to be kind, they would love it if I got to make money doing what I love the most. But making money with it, turning it into a job, is exactly what would take the joy away from me. Then it would become this stressfull thing with which I would have to pay the bills. There would be way too much compromise towards potential clients. No thank you. For me art is a practice, maybe indeed not unlike meditation or other personal practices. It's simply good for my soul and peace of mind. I just LOVE it, okay? ;-)
Brian Kasstle said…
I get asked by "well meaning friends" all the time why I art journal. It was not until they saw and went through one of my completed journals that one friend looked at the whole journal page by page very slowly I might add that she closed the book looked up and actually shouted "Oh my god, I get it!"

But yes, "I" do it for myself and because after all this time, I have to.
Marit said…
I LOVE your art journals and you work similar as I do in my 'Chronicles' journals. And yes, I feel I create those for me. It will all go to my son later, but right now I create for me. It makes me a better person when I spend time creating, and my beloved (and son - when he still lived here) both benefit from that - now that's good enough reason isn't it?!
Unknown said…
So very true!!!

Popular Posts