Hi, Evelin here. I read somewhere on a book that we should use acid-free materials for art journalling. But the ephemera that we use are normally non acid-free, right? Would this be something that you are particular about and what is your advice? Thanks!

My advice is not to worry about it. The whole acid free scrapbooking thing is a joke. The minute your hands touch anything acid free and archival go right out the window. I don't worry about it.

I think it was Picasso who said he didn't worry about it. He'd let the museum archivists take care of it.

You can always coat your pieces with gel medium. Gel medium won't yellow and once it's dry, it's not going anywhere. You can also use uv varnishes, etc... to protect your work. I don't recommend coating your journal pages, however. If it's warm, your pages could stick together. Whenever I work in my journals, I only put the glue on the back. I also primarily use a glue stick.

I make art for me and for now. I figure that scrapbooks from 100+ years ago are still around. Art journaling is glorified scrapbooking. I'd like them to last for my son. I keep them away from direct sunlight and I try to dust them every now and then.

Make art for you and for now. Use what makes you happy. That's my advice.

Ask me anything

Comments

Connie Lutz said…
I find my best ephemera from scrapbooks that were given away by families! I too tell folks not to worry...
Evelin said…
Kelly, thanks for your advice! Really appreciate it! :D

Hugs!

Popular Posts