Frida Kahlo at the SF Moma...

A selection of my favorite paintings from the exhibit at the SFMOMA by Frida Kahlo:
The whole reason I went to San Francisco was solely to see the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the SF Moma. Never in my life have I done anything like this and feel extremely lucky to have done so!! My Mom and Tristan were extremely patient and understanding. I didn't have a whole lot of time in the exhibit (only about 45 minutes) especially since it was one I could have spent all day in...but I had made prior plans and I had two traveling companions :) I just feel blessed to have been able to finally see a Frida in person and not just one Frida but many! To view her work up close and in person was just amazing and not something that one gets to do every day. Some (not me) call the current Frida madness a "jump on the bandwagon" but I have admired Frida for years and have often called her the "Patron Saint of Female Artists". The paintings that I chose (above) as my "Favorites" from the exhibit were the ones that called the most to me. The ones that I could have spent hours standing in front of studying (I was disappointed that there weren't more of my personal favorites, but what can you do?). It's astounding to see her ability and such a broad range of talent and subject matter. Also, the size of some of the paintings (obviously, most were "small" in size vs. "The Two Fridas" which is HUGE!) was extremely interesting to see up close. I loved how she painted some of her frames (Suicide of Dorothy Hale and A Few Small Nips). That she could paint (and paint so well) while in bed and obviously in pain is just a testimony to her inner strength as an artist and woman.

The photos from the exhibit-to catch such a personal, intimate glimpse of the life of Frida! (One of my favorites was a Modotti picture of Diego and a kitten...another of Frida and her nephew...also the photos of her in traction...) Where to start? I also loved the short 90 second home movie of Frida and Diego. I can't explain in words what it felt to watch the two of them interact, but it was very interesting to see how Diego treated Frida-moving her head towards the camera, etc...


I'm working on a little "Swatches" paper book of Frida, just chronicling the weekend and my feelings of the exhibit. I will post it (of course) here, when I am finished.

In the meantime, to get an idea of the exhibit, pick up a copy of Hayden Herrera's Frida Kahlo book that gives a great overview and insight into Frida, both woman and artist.

You can also see my friend, Shari Beaubien's detailed list of the paintings at SFMOMA here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself, Kelly. I felt exactly the same way - just so very lucky to have seen that much of her work in one place in my lifetime. I'll bet it was packed, huh? Hugs, Shari
Shoshanah said…
i can't believe i learned about it ON THE LAST DAY -- and i couldn't go! she's been a fave of mine for years and years. i would have loved to see her paintings in person.
Sandy said…
I've loved her art for so long, since taking Art in College and first learning about her then. Wow the photos are wonderful. To be standing there in front of one must have be breathtaking. I'll get there one day. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Shoshanah said…
did you get the book?

the san jose museum of mod. art is having a frida exhibit, but just pics of her, not her paintings. will never forgive self for missing the sf one! aack!

Popular Posts