Some journal pages from the last few days:


The above page is about Christmas 1995...David & I. I got the neat Heidi Swapp mask stencils (the U.S. and the dots) from Hannah Grey. Shoshanah sells some of the COOLEST stuff for artists! Check out her site!!!

This is a two page spread (see above for the spread and below for each individual page up close and personal). I started both these pages the other day while demo'ing in my "What's Next?" class at Zinnia.


Been busy getting things ready for my classes tonight and this weekend. Tonight I'm teaching my Goin' Postal Mixed Media Mail Art class at Stampin From The Heart in L.A. (310 391 0466). Looking forward to it!!!! This Saturday, I'll be in Thousand Oaks teaching my Day by Day book class (email me for more info) and then on Sunday, I'll be at The Art Bar in Santa Ana with my Snippets book class!

*****

Tales from West Hollywood-or another Kelly attempt to document the crap that happens to renters...

Last night I watched our "Favorite Neighbor" break his door in. He's ALWAYS losing his keys-ALWAYS. He disappears for days on end. So, last night around 10 p.m., he tried several attempts at kicking his door in (no luck). The next step was to move all of the crap he had piled in front of the door to the side. He took a small running start (more like an effeminate leap) and crashed through his front door taking out a good chunk of the door frame (like he has in the past). The next 90 minutes were spent listening to him hammer away (mind you this is now 11 p.m.) trying to "fix" his door frame that he just broke.

To add to the "fun" that started Monday morning, our building manager passed out paperwork (strategically taped to everyone's front door) yesterday. It's about parking again. Surprise surprise! A new company has taken over the "management responsibilities" (ha ha ha ha ha) of this building (they are NOT new owners. The people that own this building are now paying some company to "take care of" this building (ha ha ha ha ha ha). So, the building manager (who now is working for this new company) left these ridiculous notices about parking. They want us to fill out this mile long "form" that asks us for information about everything under the sun including our car insurance AND registration information. Information they do NOT need to know. I have refused to fill out forms like this in the past and guess what? I'm not filling this one out. Not only does it ask us personal information BUT it also says what we can and can not do (like we can't drive our scooters or motorcycles aimlessly around the parking lot. Um, only one of us has a scooter-t'aint us-and we don't have a "parking lot", we have a shitty, crappy "garage" under our building. It turns out we are the ONLY tenants in this building to have been paying $20 a month since we moved in April 1996. No one else pays for parking. Parking is in our lease. They can kiss my big fat ass.

Every time we get a notice on the door, I feel like we are being harassed. They do not ever ask us what needs to be done. They do not ever come around to see how things are. Instead they harass us. My blood pressure is boiling and I am NOT happy. And no, moving is not an option.

*****

Oh, and to end on an "up note", that Frida Kahlo book I mentioned yesterday, you really do need it.

*****

If you get a chance to see the documentary that aired on PBS last night called "Here He Is...The One, The Only...Groucho Marx", watch it!

Some Groucho quotes-

"
Last night I shot an elephant in my Pajamas and how he got in my pajamas I don't know."

"
No, my friends. No, money will never make you happy, and happy will never make you money. That might be a wisecrack, but I doubt it."

"Oh, are you from Wales? Do you know a fella named Jonah? He used to live in whales for a while."


Comments

Laurel said…
I'm always so jealous of my online friends who live in houses versus apartments! But most of us in urban settings really don't have much choice. I live in an old (1939) building, and it has a tiny studio apartment attached to the garages. I imagine at one time it was a caretaker's apartment or some such. But it is only a narrow driveway away from my bedroom, and has been occupied for the last couple of years by a very sweet, but very loud gay guy who drives a giant truck, and has run into the bars on my bedroom window, and who gets home anywhere from 10:00 pm to 3:30 am. Talking. Loudly. A lot. And then the music.
I sleep on the couch in the living room. A lot.
Sandy said…
I love your pages, what type of stencil or stamp do you use to make your uppercase letters? I love them. I totally agree with your page on cancer.

As for the parking situation I'd be pissed to. I'm the same way, I don't give out info that people don't need to know and I tend to question everything. One of those I know my rights type of people. I don't live in an apartment, I do live in a city but only about 14,000 people. We have more rental houses here. I once lived in a duplex apt. (house) and the bedrooms were on the same end, needless to say you could hear "everything" the couple living next door were doing. I stayed there for 2 years and 4 different people lived there, some were worse than others.

I hope it gets better, it probably won't but don't give up and don't let them get to you. Sometimes I think, wouldn't it be cool to live in a big city but then I don't consider the actual "living" part of it.

Take care.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Sandy,they are "sign stickers". The ones you buy from Staples or the hardware store to use to "make your own sign". They are 1". :)
Shoshanah said…
thanks for another shout-out! the masks always sell out so fast. i just got another shipment, but got slammed with a rotten cold, so i've been moving a little slow.

love the buddha page. funny -- i just made one, too! it is on my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shoshimoshi/2608864999/

Popular Posts