Huge huge thanks to all of you who are sending art to Lillian. I can't tell you how grateful I am for those of you that took the time out of your busy lives to do this for her. Thank you!!!

Yesterday, in an effort to get out of the house and stay sane at the same time, I took Tristan to Barnes & Noble at the Grove. I picked up the only copy they had of this book: Frida Kahlo: Song of Herself by Salomon Grimberg.

I get really pissed off when people say that the adoration that is out there for Frida is a "jump on the bandwagon" type thing. Not so. I think of Frida as the Patron Saint of Female Artists. She appeals to us on so many levels. The book is fresh and new-it's a side of Frida that most have never seen. It's based on interviews and studies conducted on Frida (other artists also participated but Frida is the focus here) by psychologist (and friend) Olga Campos. The studies were supposed to be a part of a larger book on artists and the creative process, but it was too overwhelming of a project and remained unpublished until someone discovered rats were gnawing away at the manuscripts and rescued them for what became this book. I dove right into it last night and am about half way through. For less than $25, it's definitely one that will appeal to all artists- those who adore Frida and her work and even non-Frida fans (is there such a thing??)

Last night on PBS there was an hour documentary on the artist, Emile Norman. I LOVED the documentary.


It's definitely one you should go out of your way to see. Very inspiring. What an amazing man!!! His house in Big Sur that he built with his partner is just jaw dropping. I want to move there *now*. My only complaint?? That there isn't a BOOK available of Emile's artwork. I need one. NOW. Extremely inspiring. I've never seen anything quite like what he creates. It's just incredible. I sound like a gushing fan girl, but I am. Very VERY inspiring. Make sure you check out his website here.
PBS clips and info here.

Comments

Popular Posts