Kelly's gotta get her groove back on...A page I did last night about my sister and her "big news" (her and her hubby signed papers yesterday on their first home! Yay! So proud!!). Wasn't she so cute??New issues of Lula & Hi Fructose-
Lula's pricey at $15, but I pick it up and after I read it, use it for collage. Hi Fructose is just always inspiring. I love reading about other artists and what goes on in their heads...

Tristan was off last week and I spent the week prepping for new classes and keeping him busy (plus he was sick). I didn't have any time for my own artwork (not a whine, just a fact!) as I was busy making samples for classes and the like. It's that "time" when I spend most of the week prepping for Future classes. Pisses me off when people think I don't "work" during the week. Oh, I do! When you teach every weekend, you work during the week gathering supplies, writing handouts, etc... I'm prepping now for summer and things coming up. I've had people make comments "You don't work!" or "You have nothing to do all week, why can't you..." Um, right...

Some paper came yesterday that I ordered a week or two ago. Let's just say I was very, very disappointed in the quality of it and how "flat" it looks. *sigh*

Also bought a "tool" from a scrapbooking company that has to be the worst thing ever. I wanted it for so bad, for so long, and it just does not work. I contacted the company and they sent me new things to try in it but, nope, it's the construction of the tool. Disappointed, indeed.

On the plus side, Tristan is very sweet coming home and checking his blog and "hits" to see where people are visiting from. Cracks me up!

Also, Yay! I am teaching tonight (at Stampin' From The Heart in L.A.) some of my fave techniques. I'm looking forward to it!! I also have workshops lined up this weekend at Zinnia in So Pasadena (About Face) and The Art Bar in Santa Ana (Inspired: Inspirations for an Artist's Journal). I'm looking forward to the workshops!!

I am quite eager to debut the new workshops so catch the Inspired & About Face workshops when you can as I have Lots of new workshops lined up for 2008! Woo-hoo!!!


Comments

&rew said…
I know, I know. Too many people don't understand the work requirements of many talented artists, dancers, and creative people. We have to work every day - practicing, sharpening our skills, hunting for ideas, and do too many mundane jobs such as prepping for classes, practicing, thinking hard, writing, developing ideas or new techniques, practicing. Note I said the word practicing three times. That's we creative people have to do that many times to keep our skills sharp!
Anonymous said…
At least you have a kid and your art career.
That's plenty of work!

I have neither and when I tell people I'm a stay at home dog mom... it doesn't go over very well.
The "what do you do all day" question is amusing to me... I'm getting creative with my lying to strangers. *laughs*
Alix said…
TandJ, I'm a stay-at-home cat mom, but now I've taken to labeling myself a "gadabout." I kind of like that. On an episode of the Weakest Link (UK), a contestant described herself as a Lady of Leisure, but actually, I do work, so that wouldn't be very accurate!

The thing about people assuming you're available happens with any non-traditional work. Working as a business coach, I found that friends and family expected me to be available to them during the day. This, even though I was teaching classes by teleconference, meeting with clients, writing books and programs, and marketing. But because I wasn't going into a corporate office or storefront, I wasn't "working" like they were. It's strange -- you really have to continually reinforce that you are not available, you are working -- and not get defensive about it, because that just feeds their mistaken attitude.

It's frustrating!

Popular Posts