I was very saddened and upset to learn of the death of artist Lenore Tawney tonight. We were at Borders tonight and I was checking out the latest issue of Fiberarts magazine when I read the one page tribute that they had to Lenore who passed away 4 months after her 100th birthday in September of 2007.
She is famous for her amazingly breathtaking sculptural weavings. I have never seen her work in person, but have high hopes to do so one day.
It was her postcards that caught my eye many years ago...


Lenore's book, Signs on the Wind, is one of my most favorite books *ever*. She sent many a collaged and dimensional postcard via the US Postal system, not considering it "finished" until it was left at the post office for the clerks to hand stamp.
She was definitely an extraordinary woman and one who will be very much missed.

Comments

Laura said…
I have just discovered her recently and bought the book. It is very inspiring. It is nice that she leaves something so enticing behind.

I'll be in your class tomorrow at the ARTbar. Looking forward to meeting you.
Sandi said…
I also only discovered her art recently, but wish I had done so much sooner! Thank you for passing along the news, and I'll be ordering her book.
Anonymous said…
Dear Kelly, I have 2 amazing friends,New Yorkers, feminists and artists. They were both very close friends to Lenore Tawny. In fact, one of them is listed in the back of the postcard book because she contributed some of the postcards from Lenore Tawny for the book. My friends went to the memorial service. Scraps of materials from Ms. Tawny's studio were collected & put into small cloth bags and given out to those that attended the service as a remembrance. I thought that was so lovely and poignant. Did yu know that in her later years,Ms. Tawny was blind? Even so, she continued to make the amazing fiber sculptures she was famous for with the help of assistants.She was quite remarkable in so may ways.
Its been a long time since I've written to you -been traveling a lot & don't always have the internet. Did you get the postcard I sent you from Greece? con affetto, Suzanne K.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Suzanne,
I have been looking for your email!!
YES! I received your lovely and thoughtful postcard from Greece-I put it in my art journal ;)
Please drop me an email when you can!

Popular Posts