Book Reviews: Journal Revolution and Art of Personal Imagery

Most of you know that I'm trying to be very selective over the books that I buy these days. This summer I "got rid" of over 70 books freeing up some space to move the books off of the floor and onto the shelves. Well, now the floor is starting to fill up again...

That being said, I thought I'd give a shout out about two recently acquired new titles:

The Sisters on Sojourn a.k.a. Linda Woods & Karen Dinino's Journal Revolution:
I bought the book solely on the artwork. I LOVE the simple (but oh, not so simple) message and to the point that Linda & Karen have in their artwork. I love their use of materials that most of us already have on hand-glue stick, tape, photos, "ephemera", etc... When you get down to the nitty gritty-I love love LOVE the journaling exercises in this book. 'Cause you know it's not just about the art when it comes to journaling...what is really most important is "getting it out onto the page and making it real" and the exercises in this book cover it all. Make it real. Get it out. Get it onto the page. Grab your journal. Grab your glue stick and some pens. Have the book by your side to get you started and just go for it. Great book for beginning journal artists to advanced (I've been keeping journals since I was younger then Tristan and I got lots of ideas from Journal Revolution!) I'm thinking of getting copies for my nieces for Christmas!

Corey Moortgat's The Art of Personal Imagery:

I've been excited about this book since I first heard Corey talking about it on her blog. I *love* Corey's unique style. In all honesty, *I'm* not big on step by step "do this" type books. I can't think of one book that I have where I will do any of the projects listed in the book-instead, I treat the book as "eye candy" and "inspiration". This book has LOTS of both. For anyone who does like to follow along step by step-the ideas are clear and well written with lots of "how to" photos to guide you along your way. There's even a section on taking your own photos (something we all can benefit from) to make your art more unique and, well, you.

Northlight is marketing it as a "companion" to
Karen Michel's The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery. Karen and Corey's artwork couldn't be more unique and different (I love 'em both!! And I highly recommend BOTH books as inspiring and completely unique.)

My favorite thing about Corey's art is her unique use of personal symbols (or imagery) that is unique to her. I love her self portrait on page 71. I love the art that flows and pours over page after page after page. I love her journal spread on page 25, 37, 65, etc...-the fact that it's primarily the ART on the page and no other "things" getting in the way of the ART. I wish that more book publishers would realize that the ART- that we do is unique enough to warrant a book of art that stands on it's own and we don't all need or want how-to's. We don't want to copy. We just want the art. We want to be inspired. We want art that makes us want to run to our studios (or living room floors) and start painting and gluing. Well, the art in this book has me itching to shut off this computer and go park my rear on the floor and work in my journal! VERY inspiring and a must have for any collage, mixed media or journal artist!!! Two thumbs up!!


*****
Wanted to make sure that people are aware of the Frida Kahlo exhibit coming to San Francisco MOMA in the summer of 2008:
From the SFMOMA website:

Frida Kahlo
Saturday, June 14, 2008 – Sunday, September 28, 2008

In celebration of the 100th anniversary of Frida Kahlo’s birth, this exhibition—organized by SFMOMA and the Walker Art Center with renowned Kahlo biographer Hayden Herrera—brings together approximately 50 paintings spanning the artist’s career, from 1926 to 1954. Focusing on Kahlo’s hauntingly seductive and often brutal self-portraits, the presentation will elucidate the progression of her practice, reflecting both her private obsessions and political concerns. In conjunction with the exhibition, the Museum will present a small selection of photographs from the Vicente Wolf Photography Collection, including portraits of Kahlo by preeminent photographers of the period, as well as personal snapshots of the artist with family and friends from the artist’s own photo albums—some of which have never before been published or exhibited.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for you comments on Journal Revolution! I'd love to see what you and Tristan create together!
I saw Corey's book today and I agree, it is beautiful.
Corey said…
Hi Kelly, your entry popped up on my "Google" alerts since it had my name in it, and I'm so glad it did! Thank you so much for the wonderful words about my book! Between you and me (and anyone else who reads this blog, I guess!), I agree with you about the art being the focus. I personally would have preferred doing that style of book as well, without all the "how-to's", since that's what I like to look at, but you gotta go with the publisher when they're the ones paying you! But I think in the end the book has a nice balance of both... Anyway, thanks again, and I should have your packs mailed out tomorrow if things go as planned!
Kelly Kilmer said…
Linda-I LOVE the book and am recommending it!!
Ditto Corey's book! Corey-oh yeah, I agree with going what the publisher wants and I love what you did with your book...I do wish though that the publishers of any future books would realize that we wouldn't mind more coffee table style books of OUR kinda art ;)
Ember said…
wow, this is great thankyou so much for the info on the journalling books, they look totally inspiring and I'm off to have a look right now
Anonymous said…
Kelly: As a book designer and author for Rockport, I totally agree with you. We need more books that are filled with great art, not how-tos...My book (1000 Artist Journal Pages) will be like that: technique-free...a gallery book. And I'm trying to push for more like that. I think marketing people are stuck in thinking that the readers want techniques. I'm sure there are those who what them...But I think there are more who just want to look at yummy art.

And Linda's and Corey's books ARE awesome...I was going to review both on my blog...You beat me to it! Now that I've read your reviews, I know I can't do better. :)
Dawn
dblogala.typepad.com

Popular Posts