What You'll Find Here

I post daily (photos of my journal pages, things that inspire me and personal bits and pieces) to inspire and encourage others. I have always believed that if I can do it, so can you.

You'll find resources (my favorite supplies, books, slideshows of my art journal pages, favorite bloggers, etc...) listed along the right hand side of my blog.

I've been teaching both in person and online workshops for almost twenty years now. You can find out more about my classes by scrolling down along the right hand side of my blog. I strive to make classes accessible to everyone (both beginner to advanced).

I love teaching and truly believe that deep down inside everyone is an artist, capable of creating something. There is power and knowledge in the act of creating something with your own hands, made from your own heart and head.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for stopping by!


Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Ruth Gikow

I was hoping to post the grab bags and things that I had mentioned the other day today but yesterday was spent with two doctors and making several phone calls. I am going to spend this afternoon trying to finish putting together my stash of art supplies to sell and will post again (with a new post) if I can get things ready to sell tomorrow or Friday. Thank you so much for your patience.

As I clean and rearrange my little art area, I am rediscovering some treasures. At some point in my travels, I picked up a copy of Ruth Gikow (1970, Maecenas Press) at one of my favorite used bookstores. I flipped through it and fell in love with the color, texture and raw emotion that filled the pages. I thought that I would share some of her work here.

It looks like there are at least three published books of her work:
-Ruth Gikow 1970

-History of the Jews in America. Illus. by Ruth Gikow

-Ruth Gikow: Recent Work 1976

Wikipedia entry on Ruth Gikow
Archives of American Art: Ruth Gikow Papers
Oral History Interview with Ruth Gikow
NY Times Obituary from 1982

No comments: