New Workshops at Designing Letters in Mar Vista, CA


I am excited to announce that I have a new Los Angeles teaching venue, Designing Letters at DeAnn Singh's Studio in Mar Vista, CA. DeAnn is a well known calligraphy artist and instructor who has graciously allowed me the use of her studio for my classes. I toured it yesterday and am very eager for you to see the space. I think that you will love it as much as I do. DeAnn has great plans and I am grateful to be a part of them! (A very big thanks to my wonderful friend and student, Judy, for making this happen.)

Upcoming Classes
February 21st Journal Roots
March 13th Journal Experience: A Master Class (all levels of experience welcome)
April 10th Juicy Journal Pages
May 15th A Few of My Favorite Things: Paper, Paint and Pen: Text Edition
June 12th TBA 

I will be taking the sign-ups here through my blog. 

Classes are held at: Designing Letters
4032 Marcasel Ave, LA. 90066

Please note that there is plenty of free street parking available.
(If you are familiar with the area, it is right around the corner from BookArtsLA, where Stampin from the Heart used to be.)

Each class is four hours in length.

Please note the NEW class time is 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 
  
Cancellation policy: Students are allowed to cancel 72 hours (3 days) before the class. After that, you can send someone else in your place, transfer to another one of my classes or receive a kit.

The four hour class fee is $85 per student.

The class fee includes a vast array of mediums and materials to complete the necessary project. ( It is well known that I do not travel light to any of my classes. I will be bringing such things as:

  • all materials necessary to complete the project (handmade paper, decorative paper, board, glue, etc...)
  • bookbinding supplies (thread, awl, needles)
  • rubber stamps 
  • ink pads 
  • decorative tape
  • stencils
  • pens and markers
  • gel medium
  • collage ephemera and much, much more.
I do not travel light to my classes at all!






Kelly's Mar Vista Classes





If you have a question or if there are problems with the paypal button, please email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net






Sunday, February 21st 
Journal Roots

10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

I love exploring texture in all forms. I wanted to create a tactile book that reflects my love of layering. I wanted to push my myself as an artist and an individual. Think rich, luscious layers of paint, paper and fabric combined with limitless possibility and guided experimentation. We'll reach deep within to create truly original pages. 

You will learn composition, design, color theory, layering exercises involving paper, paint, fabric, pen and more as you work in your newly bound journal.


Supply list: tacky glue, scraps of fabric/ribbon, an apron,scissors, a selection of favorite 
collage ephemera (think about reading this when choosing your images), bone folder, cork back metal ruler, roll of paper towels OR an old rag, permanent black ink pad (if you have one),  1" brush to glue and paint (I like chip or bristle brushes), a few of your favorite glue sticks (large glue sticks will last you longer), roll of waxed paper OR an old catalog or magazine to glue on (if you don't want to use all of your waxed paper for this.)




Sunday, March 13th
The Journal Experience: A Master Class

10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Journaling doesn't have to be about special events nor does it have to be limited to what you ate for breakfast. In this four hour workshop, we'll focus on the everyday, simple moments that add up to an individual lifetime of experiences and thoughts. You'll learn how to revel in the daily moments and turn them into art journal pages. Be prepared to get messy, be pushed out of your box, laugh, learn (a lot) and have some fun.


Supply list: a journal (or I will have paper for you), an apron, scissors, a selection of favorite
 collage ephemera (think about reading this when choosing your images), bone folder, cork back metal ruler, roll of paper towels OR an old rag, permanent black ink pad (if you have one),  1" brush to glue and paint (I like chip or bristle brushes), a few of your favorite glue sticks (large glue sticks will last you longer), roll of waxed paper OR an old catalog or magazine to glue on (if you don't want to use all of your waxed paper for this.)







April 10th
Juicy Journal Pages
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.


In this special workshop, work quick and fast, without judgment, the idea being to keep your inner critic silent. You will create a series of pages that are unique to you while learning a variety of new layering techniques involving collage, acrylics, markers, stencils, stamps and more.

After several hours of creating this way, we will step back and think about our pages. Learn to look and process your pages with new eyes. We'll then rework our pages into all new original journal pages.

Supply list: a journal or paper to work on, an apron, scissors, a selection of favorite collage ephemera (think about reading this when choosing your images), bone folder, cork back metal ruler, roll of paper towels, permanent black ink pad (only if you have one),  1" brush to glue and paint (I like chip or bristle brushes), a few of your favorite glue sticks (large glue sticks will last you longer), roll of waxed paper OR an old catalog or magazine to paint and glue on (if you don't want to use all of your waxed paper for this.)




Sunday, May 15th
A Few of My Favorite Things: Paper, Paint and Pen: Text Edition
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Combining visual art with the written word is a passion of mine. I am always searching for new ways to bring together paper, paint and pen. 

Want to make your pages come alive? Then bring your journal to class where you will learn not only how to add text to your pages but where, when and what to write. Your pages will sing and vibrate with layers of color, texture and text. This is unlike any class in adding text that I have ever taught before.

Supply list: a journal or paper to work on, an apron, scissors, a selection of favorite collage ephemera (think about reading this when choosing your images), bone folder, cork back metal ruler, roll of paper towels OR an old rag, permanent black ink pad (if you have one),  1" brush to glue and paint (I like chip or bristle brushes), a few of your favorite glue sticks (large glue sticks will last you longer), roll of waxed paper OR an old catalog or magazine to glue on (if you don't want to use all of your waxed paper for this.)

June 12th SAVE THE DATE CLASS TBA!

I hope to see YOU there!


Comments

Popular Posts