Tristan and I were up and out early yesterday morning for Free Comic Book Day. We're lucky that there are a large number of comic book shops in Los Angeles. We hit Golden Apple Comics, Melrose Music and Meltdown Comics. We picked up everything on our list. I read a ton of the comics yesterday and the ones in the above photo were my favorites.
Folks often ask what our favorite comic shops are and honestly, each one offers something different. Golden Apple always holds a special place in our hearts as we've been going there the longest. It was one of the first places that David took me to when I arrived in Los Angeles in late December 1995. He was a weekly customer long before that.
Free Comic Book Day always offers previews of some of the best comics to come in the new year. Not all of these were mentioned or offered on FCBD but I'm really looking forward to:
- Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor by Lynda Barry
- Everywhere Antennas by Julie Delporte
- A Bintel Brief: Love and Longing in New York by Liana Finck
- This One Summer by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki
- Jack Kirby New Gods Artist Edition from IDW
- Truth is Fragmentary: Travelogues and Diaries by Gabrielle Bell
- How to be Happy by Eleanor Davis
- Pascin by Joann Sfar
You may be interested in my list of where I shop in Los Angeles (bookstores, art stores, etc...)